Nothing says Christmastime quite like a kitchen full of freshly baked cookies. Here’s a little twist on a classic favorite– shortbread cookies!
To add something fun for the holidays, we’re dipping cookies in chocolate and sprinkling on some festive toppings.
Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
for the cookies:
+ 3 cups all-purpose flour
+ 1 cup sugar
+ ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
+ ¾ pound (3 sticks) room temperature salted butter, cut into pieces
+ 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
for the chocolate glaze:
+ 12 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate chips
+ 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
+ Crushed peppermint
+ Toasted pecans, chopped
+ Toasted pistachios, chopped
+ Flaked sea salt
These are just a few topping ideas so that you can get creative with any other toppings you’d like to try!
- 1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. To make the cookies: In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt to blend. Scatter the butter over the flour mixture. Add the vanilla. Pulse to form small clumps of dough.
- 3. Pour onto a work surface. Gently gather into a clump of cohesive dough. Divide in half. Form each piece into a log that is about 10 inches long and 2 ½ inches in diameter. Use a sharp knife to cut each log crosswise at ¾-inch intervals to form about 12 cookies each. Rotate the logs a quarter-turn between cuts to keep the logs round.
- 4. Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- 5. Position racks in the top third and middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 6. Cover cookies on prepared sheets lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- 7. Remove plastic and bake until the cookies are firm and pale golden on the edges, 18 to 20 minutes, switching racks and rotating the pans halfway through so they bake evenly. Cool on the sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer from baking sheet directly onto wire racks to cool to room temperature.
Check this out– Pink Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor