Are you thinking about selling your home? If so it is important to be aware of some of the following guidelines to help you get the most out of your real estate possibly saving you thousands of dollars in the future. Although this is not a comprehensive list of everything that needs to be followed when deciding to sale your real estate it is a great starting point of important items and details that we have compiled here at Ash McGinty just for you. The below guidelines can play a major role for most sellers.
- Make sure you list your property with a REALTOR®. As members of the National Association of REALTORS® each member adheres to a strict code of ethics that provide a wide variety of benefits for both buyers and sellers. Not all real estate agents are members of the National Association of REALTORS®.
- Have your real estate agent perform a competitive market analysis. Oftentimes real estate agents do not have the proper information, expertise and or knowledge of what other properties have sold for or what your current competition is. A real estate agent working for you will prepare a competitive CMA so that you can look at what other properties have sold for and see what other properties similar to yours are listed for.
- Price your property competitively and accurately from the beginning! Although many sellers are anxious to get the most out of their property and have the outlook that they can always adjust the price at a later date. In reality the best and most qualified prospects will come early in the game when the for sale sign first goes up and your property first hits the local multiple listing service hot sheet. Oftentimes sellers who price their property higher in the beginning and then begin to lower their property over time receive less for their property than they would have if it had been priced correctly in the beginning.
- Get a home inspection in advance. Normally a home inspection will not cost you a lot of money and can be a great marketing tool for your agent when selling your property. It is also good because any major issues or problems that may arise can be fixed in advance. Smaller items that can sometimes give the buyer bargaining room to reduce your cost can also be repaired beforehand and can generally save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars by taking care of them in advance.
- Reduce clutter. It is important to remember that reducing clutter and as much furniture and other items in advance can help in the sale of your property. If you need to store things in boxes or pack things up and move them to another location or to another family member or friend’s property the extra room can normally be a benefit.
- Give your home a fresh coat of paint. Generally a fresh coat of paint is very important in helping you sell your property. Normally painting your home will not cost much money and can add a great freshen up to your home.
- Open drapes and turn on lights. It is always a great idea to allow as much light to infiltrate your property as possible. Turning on lights, adding new brighter light bulbs and opening blinds and drapes is a big plus for marketing your property.
- Avoid music and avoid being home when your property is shown. Many sellers like to be present during the showing of their property. However being away during showings and open house events can help immensely in the marketing of your property. Buyers normally feel free to open closets and look at the property without sellers following them around or talking too much about the property. You might also say the wrong information or come off as desperate to sale by being present during the showing.
- Provide copies of receipts on items you have purchased. Always provide copies of receipts on items you have purchased for your agent and repairs you have made over the last couple of years. If you have installed a new roof and you have a copy of how much you spent for the roof that information can be helpful to put into a folder or book along with any other major expenses or expenditures you have spent. It is also a good idea to have copies of your taxes, insurance premiums, utility cost per month and any other important information such as surveys or plats that may be available to help your real estate agent during the marketing process.
- Clean the front porch and front lawn of any debris. Clean the front porch and front lawn of any debris or any items that might be a turn off when people are driving by to look at your property. Making sure your grass is mowed and well-manicured along with a clean swept front porch without a lot of debris is very important in the marketing efforts of your property.
- Make your home look like a magazine. Have your beds made, clothes picked up off the floor and tables straightened. Make your home fit for a magazine photo shoot! Making sure your home is at its absolute best can make your home a big hit with buyers when they tour your property.
- Be open to listen to suggestions from your agent. It is always important to remember that your real estate agent is the professional and has the expertise or knowledge of how to effectively market and sell your property. Many agents will report back to your listing agent as to what buyers or other agents think about your property and discuss what needs to be fixed or changed. Be sure to always have an open mind and listen to any suggestions that your agent may have to improve the market ability of your property.
Again this is not a comprehensive list of what you need to do to sale your property but by incorporating these recommendations they will help tremendously in the marketing of your property and ensure that you get the most out of your real estate and have a happy and successful real estate closing. Feel free to contact Ash McGinty if you have questions.
Principal Broker | Realtor® | “The Real Estate Maven”